Saturday, July 3, 2010

Today we took the literary tour of Greenwich Village













Three young actors conducted this tour. We began at the White Horse Tavern where Dylan Thomas drank his last drink. We had a great group on the tour; there was a kid who had graduated from Duke and Georgetown premed but wants to be an actor and a creative writing professor from Britain and Ed and me. The tour proceeded on to explain architectural details of the Village as we walked around but when we stopped at the Kettle & Fish, the serious drinking began, and I explained to the young kids that I had lived across the street and Rod Steiger had a pied a terre in my building and the kiddies were all blown away. Then I explained that the guy who wrote Catch 22 had also been in this very same bar and they began taking notes. All things I had forgotten. That's my building, the tall one. We ended up at Marie's Crisis which was built on the spot where Tom Paine died. That's why it's named The Crisis.

1 comment:

  1. Janet and Ed, Love following you on your blog. It seems like ya'll are having a fantastic time.

    We have a new priest at All Saints' when you return. Her name is Helen...can't remember her last name right now. She is scoming from a church in Savannah. She begins August 1.

    When are ya'll coming back home?

    Miss you! I didn't play bridge last week...wanted to go to Dr.'s with Michael. Love, Mandy

    ReplyDelete