Saturday, July 31, 2010

Saturday Matinee/Next to Normal/Joe Allen's






















This won the Pulitzer for 2010 and a lot of Tony's. My cousin was ambivalent about it and after I saw it I understood why. I'm sure no one will be surprised to learn that I have mental illness in my family's past. As a result, this is about shock treatment and pills, etc., etc. It can hit close to home. So anyway, we went, and it was quite outstanding. It was almost an opera, a lot of resitive. All the cast had great voices, there was a lot of close harmony. Once again, Ed hit the lottery so we had great seats for just $25 each. We went to Joe Allen's for lunch (a place I had learned is often frequented by show people). A very nice restaurant on a very nice street (46th). It's amazing how from street to street the personality of the city changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment